Thursday, August 11, 2005

It's Tomorrow Already

I'm sitting here watching a William Gibson documentary where the man speaks of how fast the world is being flung into the future, how post-geographical cyberspace society and technological advances are shaping tomorrow in ways no one can foresee.

I'm sitting here watching this documentary on my computer while a friend is having a casual phone conversation with his girlfriend halfway across the world. At my fingertips, just a few clicks away, is a wealth of media, mounds of detailed information on whatever subject catches my fancy. I can go most places in the world and still have instant access to all my assets and a direct line to everyone I know back home.

Whenever I so please, I can begin a new life in any of a number of cyberspace worlds, self-contained universes with their own social customs and rules of law, and I can immerse myself however deeply I see fit. With every passing day, the physical world becomes less of a necessity and more of an option.

It could be argued that this vision of the world as an evolving techno-scape is westernocentric (maybe even to the point of naïvete), but even taking into account the poverty experienced by vast tracts of the world, technological advances - and their very real influence on parts both east and west - are constantly growing in both scope and application.

For us lucky(?) few, the future isn't just here already; it has already passed, and we don't realize it because we're sitting on the other side, eyes on the horizon. What comes next is anybody's guess.