Friday, August 12, 2005

Mylo

I'm late to the party. I just discovered Mylo.

I heard his album when it first came out, and it didn't impress me at all. I seem to recall using words like "derivative," "boring" and "uninspired." I see now that I need to check my vocab, bitch.

I don't know how these things happen. Repeated exposure plays a role, sure. Others' opinions weigh in, and all that jazz. But the gap still seems unfathomably wide to me; a year ago, my hate for this music was almost palpable and now, almost without my noticing, I'm ready to go down on my knees in a dark alley for it.

It could be that I'm just becoming a curmudgeon. I've hated most of my favorite artists' latest albums: the Beastie Boys' Five Boroughs effort sounded to me like the dying rankle of a once-great poet, the Chemical Brothers' Push the Button is a complete travesty from top to bottom and Björk's whateverthehellitwascalled was a piece of work whose artistic value would have increased enormously by the inclusion of some actual music.

So apparently I have a "Hate All Incoming Music" switch somewhere, and if it's making me miss out on stuff like Mylo then it needs to be turned off, god damn it.

Moral of the story?

The latest Björk album fucking sucks.